A night guard is a common item found in many households. A mouth guard that is designed to prevent teeth grinding and clenching- it has become indispensable for many people. Also known as bruxism, teeth grinding or clenching can cause several painful symptoms and can seriously damage your teeth. Because teeth grinding often takes place during sleep, many patients are unaware that they suffer from bruxism.
There are a few signs that indicate you suffer from bruxism, a few are:
• Worn tooth enamel that exposes the inner layers of the tooth.
• Tension headaches and migraines
• Increased tooth sensitivity
• Tired jaw muscles
• Indentation on the tongue
• Jaw pain and tightness in the jaw muscles
• Chronic facial pain
• Flattened, chipped, or cracked teeth are a big indication of bruxism
• Ear pain is a common symptom of bruxism
In order to confirm an accurate fit, the dentist will take impressions of your upper and lower teeth. Next, the dental night guard is crafted from strong, durable plastic using your impressions as a guide. Once the dental night guard is finished, it will be properly fitted to your mouth. After that, all you have to do is wear the guard while you sleep to stop the bruxism from effecting your mouth and teeth.